Wednesday, February 2, 2011

The Works


My husband and I spent about 5 hours at the Royal yesterday. It wasn't that bad as we had three appointments.
One with the midwife where we completed a LOT of paper work, decided on a mid-wife team and got to hear the babies heart beat for the first time. The nurse explained that I won't feel the bub until about week 20.
I'm sixteen weeks this week and have been feeling something (bubbles? flutters?) but it won't count until I feel it and know its the baby.
We then had an appointment with the medical doctor who has sent me off for assessments in every other department!
I had a kidney ultrasound on Monday as I was diagnosed with the relatively benign kidney problem know as medullary sponge kidney about five years ago, and it turns about its still there. (I probably could have told them that).
They are also sent me for an ECG. Everything is fine.
I still have to go to a lung function test, and an ECHO.
Oh and a neck X-Ray.
Arthritis has never impacted on my organs, but this doctor is set on triple checking EVERYTHING.
The other appointment was with the Obstetrician, who has asked me to go and see my ortho surgeon for an assessment of my hip replacements and if I should even try natural birth or skip straight to C-section.
If I end up giving birth naturally I will by this doctor a coke.
My bilateral hip replacements are ten years old! And my spine has had arthritis for over 20 years. I'm amused that they see natural birth as an option in the first place!
In the next four weeks I have at least 2 appointments a week.

1 comment:

  1. Glad you're having everything checked out and that thus far, everything seems to be going well. I wanted to mention that interestingly, one of my best friends from 3rd grade through high school and just beyond, also suffered from rheumatoid arthritis from the time she was born as well. In grade school, she was in a wheel chair for part of the time, but also had several joint replacements. I remember how difficult the disease could be. My Mom and I have the lesser regular arthritis.

    Praying that everything continues to go very well for you.
    Linda

    ReplyDelete