Tuesday, May 24, 2011

32 weeks

Your baby now weighs approximately 3.75 pounds/ 1.7 kilograms and is about 17 inches / 42 centimetres long from head to toe. Although his lungs won't be fully developed until just before birth, your little one is inhaling amniotic fluid to exercise his lungs and practise breathing.

(Giving credit where credit is due, all these bub images and the first bits of text are from babycenter.com.au - I also just downloaded the free pregnancy app from this site and it's pretty good!)

I am pretty much playing the waiting game for the next couple of weeks.
Settlement on our house doesn't happen until June, so I've really tried to pause all my spending/nursery plans until I can freely go in and out of the space.
The only 'big thing' left is the cot. This one (by Stokke) was the one we've been leaning towards, but it's been months since I've looked at Cots.

I remember I liked this one because I could reach every part of the mattress from anywhere, it's certainly not the prettiest cot, but from memory it looked like it would be the easiest one for me to be able to reach bubs in.
Speaking of bubs, we have another scan tomorrow! A position scan (is what I think they call it). They want to check out where the plecenta is (it was low lying last time).

Another thing I would like for the nursery (I think its more for me than bubs) is a big comfy chair. I found a really nice one last week, but it will take 10-12 weeks to order!
I really think I need it now! I have been a lot more uncomfortable in the last week. She moves around so much and sometimes finds herself up very high and I just cannot get my breath when she's up there! I find lying down on just the right angle helps, but it's hard to stay on that angle with only pillows! Oh well, better late than never!
On bubs kicks, this week I've noticed that this week she doesn't kick me much after I've eaten, instead she goes bananas when I get hungry, I like to think that she's already starting to help me out! I know last week there were a couple of days were I just forgot to eat (with all this house stuff, it's not as hard as you'd think)! And now I use her kicks as a reminder to go to the fridge.
I thought I would show you what medications I'm still on.

The one not in the photo is Enbrel (my once weekly injection - that I gave up from weeks 4-12, but I just had to start it again, or else we would have had a tin-man stuck in the woods like situation on our hands).

What you can see:

Iron - a midwife (who I refer to as that-midwife-who-couldn't -find- the-heart-beat-of-a-baby-who-was-kicking-her-with-a-doppler-or-an-ultrasound... because she couldn't, well it took her 10 minutes) suggested I take this, about 15 seconds after I said I was a vegetarian, DESPITE my iron levels being within normal limits.
Cranberry - prevents UTI

Calcium and vitamin D - I take this for my osteoporosis, the med team uped my vitamin D for the pregnancy.
Pro-biotic - I've found this helps my digestion.
Pregnancy Vitamin - speaks for itself.

Nexium - for reflux/medications given to me when I was 2-5 years old ruined my stomach lining.

Anti-biotics - I'm on a low dose daily preventitive dose, because the enbrel increased my infection rate, its just easier!

Steroids - Ah this one is my enemy, the one I thought I left behind me in highschool. I suddenly and irrationally stopped this when mum told me what the side-effects were when I was 15 (the side effect being the moon face) and I lost 7 kilos in one summer. (I had a bad habit of suddenly stopping my meds when I was a teen, I did the same thing with methotrexate, but in my defense I had just heard it was a chemotherapy drug! and it just didn't seem 'right' to me! I wanted children one day)

ANYWAY back to steroids. I'm on them because my arthritis has flared during pregnancy. Which, by the way, is completely backwards! Arthritis is suppose to IMPROVE during pregnancy. I have not heard of a single person saying it got worse. But that is me! I'm quietly hoping it will mean that I avoid the post-pregnancy nasty flare that everyone has been warning me of.

Anyway originally they had me taking three days of 25 mg for the flare. But I was flaring every 2 weeks, so they changed the plan to 3 days of 15mg, 3 of 10mg, 3 of 5mg, 3 of 4mg, 3 of 3mg...

It truly makes me feel generally unwell, but hey at least I can move!

I hate it, by the way. I really really hate needing medication. I feel guilty everyday.

1 comment:

  1. Hi,
    Hope everything continues to go well. You're a remarkable woman!
    Kind regards from across the sea, in the farmland of Illinois :)
    Linda

    ReplyDelete